The Hospital Education Program (HEP) offers consultative services in outpatient clinics throughout the University of Virginia Children’s Hospital. Educational consultants are certified special education teachers who work closely with medical staff, schools, and families in order to provide school support for children with chronic health conditions served in outpatient clinics. Services may include:
- meeting with children and families during clinic visits to discuss school and educational planning;
- identifying appropriate resources to address educational issues;
- serving as a liaison between the clinic team and home school divisions;
- consulting with school personnel regarding classroom modifications needed to support the child’s health/learning needs;
- providing informal assessment of the child’s strengths and weaknesses and referring for further assessment when appropriate; and
- monitoring the child’s education program through periodic phone calls or visits to the home school.
Written parent permission is required for HEP educational consultants to contact schools and community agencies while following pediatric outpatients.
All HEP services are free to children and their families. For additional information, contact (434) 924-2658.